HiveOS for the win, this is why I use it. I have always had problems with windows build but mining cards us so much easier in Hive and Linux.
A good thing about this build are the temps. It runs quite cool with minimum fan settings.
Firstly, in this post I will go through the build process and my parts selection.
Mining Rig Build Parts List
Before starting, choose and research the parts you need. Here is my parts list for this build and reason for purchase.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Mining Rig Part
Integrated graphic's and does the job for mining on an AM4 Motherboard.
Reliable and cheap to run HiveOS. Easily replaceable.
Motherboard: MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 2ND and 3rd Gen AM4
Has all the mining features required, 4g decoding etc. Also has some cool RGB at a reasonable price.
Splitter Card: PCIe 1 to 4 Riser Card, Pcie Splitter 1 to 4 PCI Riser Card
This rig has more power capacity to get to 80% of load. Having one of these allows me to add extra gpu's.
Good price, please pick up an extra pack of fans. I forgot and had to get another pack.
Parallel Mining supply some great bundles on server power supplies. You get the cables you need and can adapt your order as required. You will need a Pico switch as well to power the motherboard and cpu.
Great RGB with a controller at a reasonable price. The airflow is also reasonable
Risers: Ubit 6-PCS PCI-E Riser
Updating my rigs to these ones going fowards, 8 capacitors and I have some white builds coming.
Next in this section, lets move on to the graphics cards. I have mainly chosen these due to availability and trying to get them at MSRP. Lets go into the breakdown.
I am running NB miner as it covers Nvidia and AMD.
In this next section, I will give a quick review of the GPUs.
|Graphics Card||Quick Review||Our Choice|
|Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER||This has been one of my best cards. To get a Non LHR you will need to check out eBay. 62 M/h for 121 watts is pretty efficient.||View Here|
|MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600 128-bit 8GB GDDR6||Steady 29 M/h at 55 watts, another great efficiency card.||View Here|
|GTX 1660Ti 6GB MSI VENTUS XS 6G||31-32 M/h at 75 watts – love these cards, simple and managed to get at MSRP.||View Here|
|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G||31-32 M/h at 75 watts – love these cards, simple and managed to get at MSRP.||View Here|
|Evga Geforce Gtx 1660 Super Sc Ultra Gaming||31-32 M/h at 75 watts – this card can be bios modded to achieve more as its Hynix memory. Temps are lower than the 1660 Ti.||View Here|
Rig Assembly – Motherboard
- Research and buy parts
- Un-package everything
- Install an OS on SSD/USB Flash Drive – ready for installing on step 4 (See HiveOS install or choose an OS of your choice – I recommend HiveOS, it makes everything easier as its build for mining).
- Next, Install processor, RAM and Boot Drive on motherboard
- In the next step, plug in all riser cables (only applicable if you are dual mining) or a cheap GPU. After installation, you can disconnect.
- Place motherboard on mount.
- Plug in SSD/SATA hard drive
- Connect all GPUs to riser cables and fasten them to custom case. You might need to experiment for optimal spacing to keep the cards cool.
- Plug in all power supply connections.
- Connect mouse, monitor and keyboard and an internet connection
- Check all connections
- Fire it up and install the operating system and mining software (see additional instructions below).
- Finally, make sure fans are fully functional. Start the mining software, tweak settings for maximum hash rates and let it run!
Motherboard Software Configuration
Every motherboard is different, in general you want to do these updates.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Motherboard Software Configuration
- Update the motherboard to the latest BIOS using a USB thumb drive.
- Configure Motherboard BIOS with the following settings changes
- PCIE Subset settings – set these to Gen 1, above 4G Decoding (cryptocurrency mining) should be set to Enabled and turn off HD AudioSave and reboot
Installation of HiveOS
HiveOS has a great guide on getting started, here is our referral link:-
Setting up a Flight Sheet
- First step add your wallet
- Select coin
- Choose the wallet you just added
- Pick your pool
- Click configure pool and select the closest server
- Select the miner
- Press the moon button.
More GPU Mining Posts