Bios Modding is definitely something that you do at your own risk. That being said it does give you a boost to your hashrates. In some instances across a rig it can add up to another card for free.
Next in this post, I will be giving a breakdown on how to bios mod your cards. I have done my RX 580, 480 and 470 cards. You can also mod the 5700xt but this is a slightly different process.
As I use HiveOS my guide be based around this, it makes the process a lot simpler than windows.
HiveOS Bios Mod
It’s really easy to bios mod in HiveOS, this is why I switched from windows for my rigs. Referral link below go check them out.
RX 580, 480 and 470
- First, go to the overclocking tab and download the vBios.
- Next at this point its a good idea to make a backup, in both HiveOS and you local computer.
- Download and install “Polaris Bios Editor” from this site.
- Open the bios in “Polaris Bios Editor”, re-save the bios as anything you like. In my case “modded_580”.
- Click on the one time timing patch button and select the options applicable to your memory type.
- Next, Save the modded bios.
- Finally, use the HiveOS overclock tool to flash the card with the new bios.
It’s really simple, but when I searched online I only found all sorts of complicated answers,
My hashrate jumped by 3.5 MH/s on each GPU after flashing the bios.